Tuesday, May 29, 2012

BlogPost#1

     Hello! As a student at the University of South Alabama, I am pleased to be apart of EDM 310. I believe that this course will teach me how to further my education on the use of technology. Words cannot explain how excited I am. I finally have a class where I am able to be creative with my assignments while using my favorite device which is my tablet.
     I am currently a junior at the University of South Alabama which is located in Mobile, Alabama. My major is Secondary Education and minor in Social Sciences. I chose this major because I truly love History. It was the one class that I was most interested in during middle and high school. Learning the past is very important to me. When I know information about a previous event such as asking a classmate about a teacher that I am currently enrolled in, will prepare me for what is expected of me.
     I was born in Pascagoula, MS but I live in Moss Point, MS. This town is a lot smaller than Mobile in size. As a child, I grew up with parents who worked hard to provide for their family, but my most favorite time spent with my family was family vacations. I have traveled so much as a kid. Those times are  most valuable to me because I learned a lot about those places that I have visited while learning more about my family members.
     Although I'm majoring to be a History teacher, my long term goal is to become a professor. I first chose to become a high school or junior high school teacher because I want to get experience with younger students. I think that education is precious. Students need to be prepared for college during their junior high and high school years. It is sad to say that most are not prepared for college. I was one of those students who had to teach themselves how to study correctly and be passionate about my work after a trial and error freshman semester. I want to make sure that I can do everything possible to better prepare my students for their future while teaching them how to educate themselves at the same time.


I didn't know much about the speaker prior to watching this video, but after watching the video by Randy Pausch on time management, I was left with some key notes. I learned that Dr. Pausch was a Carnegie Mellon professor who died from pancreatic cancer. He was most famous for his lectures in which he important steps to students on how to be successful. I first learned that in order to change plans, first one has to make them. As a college student, this information is useful. I have to make plans all the time with my classes, work, and personal life. I never realized how often I make plans because I've been going through the motions for a long time. I feel more prepared when I make plans versus winging it.
     When Mr. Pausch mentioned how to deal with stress and procrastination, I immediately knew that I needed to listen to what he had to say about it. I am so familar with stress and procrastination. When I was a freshman, I procrastinated a lot because I didn't know how to manage my time wisely. And just like Mr. Paucsh said, "Experience does come with time." Over time, I learned different methods of how to manage my time. I haven't perfected managing my time but I have made better decisions on what I need to do first and then go from there. Sometimes, I tend to procrastinate. I do this the most when I have been over worked and simply need a break. This is especially with college. I will start off at a good and steady pace. Once  I have worked too hard, I tend to slow down. I don't think that this is a major problem, just as long as I can pick up the pace once more. I find that this kind of method is good and works for me. It may get a little stressful, but it is good stress that drives me to work harder and to do my very best.

3 comments:

  1. Your procrastinating times are over! Or at least in EDM310. What else did you learn about Dr. Paunch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have revised the information Dr. Pausch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Shaniqua, I am Keith Tardibuono. It is truly a pleasure to be in this class with you. It is actually my second time, so when Dr. Strange says do not procrastinate I probably would... still do it, although ya shouldn't. I think it's cool that you want to to secondary. I wouldn't mind doing that age either, but I just feel I could work with younger kids as well. I like what you said about the video we had to watch. I thought it was a pretty decent information getter. Good luck with the class.

    ReplyDelete