Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Blog Post#4

The Benefits of Podcasting In the Classroom 
     The benefits of podcasting in the classroom is a video that can be watched on YouTube The Benefits of Podcasting In the Classroom explains the importance of using a podcast through different examples. Using a podcast is beneficial to students who may miss a week of school. If their teacher has the in class assignments posted online for the absent student, then they wil be able to follow along with the class. There is no need for make-up homework in this case. Most students today are familar with some use of technology. By learning how to use a podcast only furthers their knowledge of technology. They are able to illustrate what they have learned in their own creative way, while using a tool that is more relevant to them. Parents can also see their children's progress in the class and view their work. More parents are working and don't get the time to check on their child's work to make sure they are doing their best in class. With podcasting, parents can now view their kid's work right from their work desk.
     As a college student, I have only came across two classes that have actually used podcasts. The first course was EDM 310. I appreciate it because I learned so much in one semester. With the help of student workers in Dr. Strange's class, I was able to see how easy and fun making a podcast could be. I want to be a History someday, and I would love to use a podcast in my classroom. The other class that used a podcast was the Introduction to Politics class. I used it to view lessons online, that I may have missed in class. It also helped me study for the class.

     The Practical Principal with Melinda Miller and Scott Elias is a blog that teaches others how to use syndication and feedburner. Feeds allow websites to further expand their information. They allow people to use subscriptions, news reader, and emails. This is beneficial because it allows users to stay updated with their favorite blogs or websites.
     After reading the Practical Principal, I am inspired to make and view blogs on my own time. I never really used a podcast unless it was for a class. With my tablet, I am able to download Really Simple Syndication (RSS) and find information in a new way instead of using Google or YouTube which are my go to search engines. I think that the use of a podcast for news would be better for me than using a newspaper or magazine. I don't have to struggle with going to the store to purchase a newspaper. I can just subscribe to the website and read. How great is that?

     Podcast With First Grade is by Langwitches Blog where I watched Priceless Education. In this video it gives the importance of having a non-traditional way of teaching and learning. You may think that passing a Spanish test shows that you know another language, but talking to students using programs like Skype to actually see their expressions helps first graders learn at an early age. Most are familiar with teachers sharing their lesson plan with the classroom and school, but now teachers are able to let the world view their lesson plans through blogs. What about reading a book about a country to learn facts? Well, today students can make their own books about a country that is filled with vivid facts.
     Education is priceless. What I get from this video is that there are other options to teaching and learning. Some of the traditional methods may get students by, but with a good use of technology, their knowledge will be taken a step further than a simple lecture. Students are engaged in their work. They finally have a say so in how they want to complete their assignments. This means that more students will find interest in topics they may not have thought of before. They are able to do more than what's expected of them. I am one of those students. Thanks to EDM 310, I have those same abilities that are displayed in this video.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Shaniqua,

    I have never heard of Really Simple Syndication (RSS). I will have to check that out! I like this: "They are able to illustrate what they have learned in their own creative way, while using a tool that is more relevant to them." This is important because so many students today aren't given a chance to be creative.

    Good job Shaniqua,

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shaniqua.... I feel the same way about podcasting in the classroom. It is a great tool for students who may miss a class. The teacher can keep that student up to speed by using this tool; a video rather than a written statement of the assigment would be very helpful.

    ReplyDelete