Wednesday, June 6, 2012

C4T#1

Lee Kolbert A GeekyMomma's Blog "How Long Will It Take to Read War and Peace?" ran across a reading test that calculates how fast you can read. Lee Kolbert's reading rate was 369 wpm, which is 48% faster than the national reading level. The test also gives a few comprehension questions are reading the passage. If the reading gets any of the questions incorrect, then they have to retake the assessment. Once the questions are answered correctly, the next page gives a chart of the national reading level and place where the reader who took the test resides. I landed at 12% slower than the national level. That is equivalent to an eighth grader. Another interesting fact about this test is its ability to tell the tester how long it would take them to read War and Peace. It would take me 44 hours and 17 minutes to complete this book. The last page views a chart of many books I would be able to read on different ereader devices. On an  average, I will be able to read 2.9 books. I feel comfortable being able to read three books before having to recharge. At first, I felt a little discouraged when I read my score, but I felt relieved to know that I am able to read three books on an ereader before having to recharge. The quiz gives me the courage to not be overwhelmed with books that I think are out of my league. Overall I would like to improve my reading rate, but I also wanna make sure that I am able to comprehend what I am reading at a level that I feel comfortable with.
     A Great Prize Opportunity blog post explains how she is taking part in a contest for teachers. It allows them to showcase their ideas and techniques on how to attract female students into math, engineering or computing where men mostly major in these areas. I think that this is a great idea. It also encourages teachers and gives them new techniques on how to increase more female participation. I am one of those female students who need work in math and would love to learn more about computing and engineering, therefore I appreciate those who created this contest. I am happy that she is becoming a judge and that teachers are being acknowledged for their ideas.

1 comment:

  1. Very well done. It appears this was an excellent assignment for you!

    ReplyDelete