Monday, July 9, 2012

Blog Post#11

Skype






Ms. Cassidy
Ms. Cassidy
Ms. Cassidy's approach to the use of technology in the classroom with her first graders is very helpful for future teachers like myself. After watching her video, I was amazed to see first grade students using laptop computers, writing blogs and working on smart boards. I never thought that children this young would be capable of doing such things. My thoughts about younger children and the use of technology has shifted. It also made me happy to hear the reference to the Alabama EDM-310 students. That acknowledgement to us means that the number of technologically literate students is constantly growing.

I would like to use some of the techniques that Ms. Cassidy uses for her students in the future for my students as well. She talked about protecting her students and that is very important. I would like to use the method of asking for the parent's permission through a consent form that also protected their child's privacy and what they were allowed to see. By first getting the parent's permission, allows my students to do work online. Without their permission, I would not allow them to use the internet until I have received a signed consent form. In the process of protecting the students she only includes the student's first name without their picture. I like this technique because no one really knows who that person is except for the teacher. I want to allow my students to have the use of blogging. Giving them the opportunity to voice themselves and view comments helps them in many ways. They learn how to work independently. They can read comments to help them understand what another person wrote on their blog or ask questions.

The benefits that I intend on getting is that it will first keep my students interested and engaged into their work. My students will have the ability to build their own network with people who have the same interest as themselves. Students will become more creative with their assignments because there will not be one set way of completing them. They will learn how to teach themselves instead of depending on a lecture everyday.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blog post. Yes, I thought it was amazing to see what those first graders could do with technology. I like that you are going to use something like this in your own classroom. I wish you luck. I think you are going to do great! Thanks for such a great post.

    ReplyDelete